Maiden Newton & Cattistock FC today is a small grassroots Village Football Club supported by fundraising and sponsorship. The two villages are only a mile apart. The aim of the club is to promote football to all and be family friendly.
The club appreciates sponsorship received from local sources, such as the shop and forecourt in Maiden Newton. In addition, the Club holds an annual Open Day to also help raise funds. The Open Day includes football (Adult and Youth matches), stalls, raffles, kids, entertainment, live music etc.
On match days refreshments are available for both grown-ups and children.
The History of the Club:
In days gone by both villages had their own football clubs. Maiden Newton was established in 1877 and is believed to be the second oldest club in Dorset, whilst Cattistock started in 1905, playing a better standard of football and in a higher league. Unfortunately in 1962 Cattistock folded due to players moving to other teams. A few years later Maiden Newton FC had to vacate their ground and put in a request to take over the Cattistock ground. The request was granted with the condition that ‘Cattistock’ be incorporated into the name. In 1967 ‘Maiden Newton & Cattistock FC’ (The Stags) was established.
Since that time improvements have been made to the ground – for example, the old wooden changing rooms were knocked down and new ones built. In 2011 new showers were added and these were opened by England World Cup Referee – Paul Dirkin.
The Club has now been further extended with two adult teams (the Firsts and the Reserves) and is also in the process of bringing Maiden Newton Young FC (The Hawks) under the clubs umbrella. This will give extra space to train and play and hopefully encourage more youngsters, especially girls, to start playing this beautiful game.